Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Tam's Top 13 Products of 2013







Okay... I get it... 2013 is over, but I just couldn't let a new year come without talking about all the products that helped me make it through 2013.


1. Detangling Tools

February 2013 I decided to SAY NO to the Creamy Crack.  At first this journey was so easy.  Having had a relaxer since I was 5, I knew how to manage my mostly relaxed hair.  Now being 10 months posts relaxer the two different textures have been giving me a lot of trouble when styling and washing.  I had to stop that fast! I found the following detangling tools and they have made my transition journey a heck of a lot better.

Beautiful Textures Taming Leave in Conditioner is a miracle worker.  It simply dissolves all my twists and tangles and lets me glide through my hair no matter what style I have planned for that day.
Tangle Teezer  If you're familiar with the natural hair community (NHC), I'm sure you've heard of the tangle teezer (TT), a brush that just melts all the knots away.  After watching countless YouTube (YT) videos reviews I just had to get it!  I knew it had to be the real deal, because I went to three different stores before I found it. Luckily I was able to get to Ulta just in time to get the last one.  My $5 coupon also made it a good purchase because I only spent $4 on this $10 brush! It was definitely worth the hype.... Until I discovered the Wet Brush.  (I now reserve the TT for dry detangling)
The Wet Brush  I discovered this tool shortly after picking up my TT.  It was including in a set I had purchased from Sally's.  I really hadn't planned on using it.  Having little hope for this brush because I was so amazed with my TT, I just decided to at least try it out since I had purchased.  OMG it was a life changer.  Amazingly, I know use it more than my TT.

2.  Make Up Forever HD Foundation

This is another product that all the YT gurus swear by...and... because I believe everything they say (lol), I had to get it for myself.  Luckily, this product is worth every penny.  It's a liquid foundation that dries to matte.  I highly suggest trying this in 2014 if you haven't already.

3.  Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil is an essential oil with antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties.  Like, seriously, it is the best essential oil on the planet!! I use it for my itchy scalp and mild acne.  This is definitely a product you should have in 2014!

4.  Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel

This is nother product that all the naturals swear  by.  I'm sure if you're natural or transitioning you've already picked up your bottle of EcoStyler Gel.  It does amazing things for twist outs, braids outs, wash and gos and high ponytails without the leaving behind a gel like residue.

5.  Too Faced Cosmetics

In 2013 I really got fascinated with make up.  Being in pharmacy school stresses me out so much that I had to pick up a hobby that wouldn't take so much time away from studying.  IDK how I begin experimenting with makeup, but it's something I do on weekends to relieve some stress by pampering myself.  Before being introduced to Sephora, I'd usually get all of my eyeshadows from drugstores and beauty supply stores.  They worked for a while until I really started learning how to do make up.   All the pigments would sort of just fade on my chocolatey brown skin.  So one day I walked into Sephora and saw this beautifully packaged palette,  Pretty Rebel.  I swatched the colors on my hand and were amazed at how pigmented they showed on my skin--I'd become a fan.  I followed up by purchasing their holiday palette, A Few of My Favorite Things and can't wait to purchase the new Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette.

6.  African Pride Olive Miracle Anti-Breakage Formula Braid Sheen Spray

2013 has been filled with protective styles.  I've believe for most of the year my hair was braided.  An itchy scalp follows any long-term protective style.  This braid spray is amazing at combating an itchy and dry scalp.  I mix mine with a few drops of peppermint and tea tree oil for an added scalp relief.

7.  Purple Lipstick

Purple! Purple! Purple! Purple is my favorite color and this fall I discovered purple lipstick.  Stay tuned for a separate blog dedicated to my purple lipstick collection!

8. Miss Jessie's

I'd admit that I was hesitant about buying MJ's products.  I'd heard a lot about them, but I couldn't bring myself to purchase the overpriced bottle of shampoo.  Luckily, MJ decided to give us all a break and discount her products 40% their original price.  I was still hesitant until a classmate told me that Target was also participating in the sale.  I rushed to my nearest target and purchased the Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo and Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls™.  They both were a great purchase.  The shampoo is a sulfate shampoo with great detangling properties. The PSC are like fabric softener for your hair.  I used it before using curl formers and it left me with soft curls that smelled AMAZING!

9.  YouTube

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can say YT has changed their life.  It is like my go to social network.  I've learned so much about styling my hair, wearing makeup and I even use it as a study tool.  If you haven't checked out at least one video on YT in 2013, I'm sure you were hiding under a rock.  If you need any hair and/or make up inspirations, I high suggest subscribing to a few of my favorite channels.  I believe all the ladies listed below helped me look fabulous in 2013.

KISSseventyseven
Alex Amethea
Donedo
Tameka
AnnisaLiMara

10.  LA Girl Pro Concealer

As I stated earlier, I'm new to the world of make up.  How to use concealer is probably the most talked about on YT channels that I watch.  If you're just getting into makeup and don't want to spend a lot of money on MAC's prolongwear concealer, I'd highly suggest trying out this product.

11.  Apple Products 

I wish Apple had a rewards program.  I've spent all my money at Apple stores.  I have the iPad, iPod, MacBook, iPhone5 and just about every accessory that comes with each device.  I can't speak for any other product, because I've been #teamApple since the first generation iPhone.  I can say that I am very pleased with Apple Products.  Throughout undergrad and now pharmacy school I have consistently been able to rely on my Apple products.  If you're looking for a new product to try, I'd highly suggest making an investment in an Apple product.

12. Real Technique Brush Set Dupe

My new found love for make up began to get a little bit expensive.  I had to find cheaper alternatives to all the name brand products I would view, especially the brush sets.  I fell in love with the Real Techniques brush set but fell out of love after viewing the prices.  I researched dupes for the set and came across a company with good reviews on eBay.  I've never tried a RT brush, but this dupe set is amazing.  It literally took my make up game to the next level.

13.  Pinterest

Okay, I can forgive you for not having a YT account, but if you don't have a Pinterest account, what are you waiting on??!?!!? I browse all the boards on Pinterest for daily inspiration.  It is the perfect outlet for everybody.  Whether your'e interested in fast cars or diy projects, I'd highly suggest getting a Pinterest account and start pinning away! Make sure you follow My Pinterest Board.


All 13 products listed above helped me survive 2013.  If you haven't tried any of them, I highly suggest trying at least one for 2014.  I'm sure they will change you life just as much as they did mine!


XO,

Tamera Hughes





1 comment: