Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Protective Styling with FreeTress Braid Island Twist

Hey everybody!! How are ya'll feeling today? One of my most frequent asked questions about my natural hair journey is how do I retain length.  Now it may not seem like it when my curls are in their natural state, but blown out and straightened you can tell that I have been able to retain a lot of hair growth in the past two years since my big chop.  The key to retaining such length is truly due to protective styling.  I would have to say that I protective style at least 6 months out of each year.  So yes… half of the year I wear my hair and the other half it is tucked under a wig, braids or crochet.  I usually keep my hair in protective styles for about a month at a time.  Over the years I've realized that my hair does not do well with long periods of protection.  I exercise and run a lot and the sweat build up definitely makes for a very unhappy scalp.  I can literally say I've tried it all… Different crochet braiding styles, senegalese twist, box braids, dutch braids, mini twist…  yes I am the queen on protective styling.  

Recently while walking in my local beauty supply store I found a new style of crochet braiding hair that I'd never seen before.. FreeTress Island Curl.  I was quickly attracted to this twist pattern because it honestly mimicked my natural braid outs.  There wasn't many videos on youtube about styling with this hair so I decided to take a chance and try it out.  I was definitely not disappointed! 



This hair was by far the most natural looking crochet braids I have ever done.  Everywhere I went people would ask me where I'd purchased the hair. I purchased this hair for about $5 a pack but you can also purchase it at the following websites:  EbonyLine and BlackHairSpray I was able to maintain this style for 4 weeks.  It definitely can be worn longer.  The pattern was maintained throughout me running four times a week and sleeping without a scarf.  





If you are looking for a natural looking protective styles I highly suggest trying Crochet Braids.  In the tutorial below I will show you an easy way to crochet your natural hair using the FreeTress Braid Island Twist.  



Products Needed: 

  • Rat Tail Comb 
  • Hair Clips 
  • Latch Hook Needle
  • Needle and Thread
  • 5 packs of the FreeTress Braid Island Twist
  • Moisturizer of your choice 

Will you try this style? Let me know in the comments sections.  Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel to view more videos and stay update on new uploads! 



No comments:

Post a Comment