Sunday, February 28, 2016

How I Refresh My Old Braidouts (with Video and Product Reviews)

So wash day is tomorrow, but you have somewhere to go tonight.  You've been able to rock your braid-out for the past 5 days but it just doesn't have anymore life to it.  You have about 10 minutes to devote to your hair before getting ready... So what do you do?  Refresh those curls!!  Below you will find a video explaining how I refresh my curls in less than 10 minutes.  Each product helps to revitalize each strand without the additional drying time needed when styling freshly washed hair.  After watching the video continue reading to find a detailed review on each product used.  Hope you enjoy!   




I start off by sectioning my hair into 4 equal parts. I usually like to start with the back of my hair first since it takes the longest to dry. One thing I like about this quick refresher is that the products don't saturate my hair too much. I have low porosity hair and it seems like a drop of water takes at least 2 hours just to dry.



The Alba Botanica Hawaiian Coconut Milk Leave-in Conditioning Mist provides my hair with just the right amount of moisture to prepare my hair for this refresher.  I purchased my bottle at my local Sprouts Farmers' Market for about $7, but I've also seen it at some CVS.  This has been my go-to leave in conditioner when prepping for any style.  With ingredients such as water, glycerin, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sweet almond oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and coconut, pineapple, papaya and mango fruit extracts, the makers state that this product will moisturize and quench dull, thirsty, tangled tresses and protects hair prior to heat styling.  It exactly does just that!! A thorough mist over my dry hair to reactivates and tame my unruly curls.



Once I've made sure to distribute the first product evenly through out my hair, I pull out what I believe to be the key to refreshing my curls, the Camille Rose Fresh Curl Hair Smoother.  I picked this product up from my local Target.  Now I must admit... Camille Rose products are usually on the higher end when it comes to natural hair products.  I believe this bottle cost about $14 in the store.  I shop at Target a lot and usually wait for them to have a sale.  Just recently there was a ad going on for $5 back for every $20 spent on beauty items.  Couple sales like this with the Target Cartwheel app and you can almost always get these high end products for almost nothing.  This product has ingredients like deionized water, castor seed oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, glycerin, and avocado oil. These ingredients together act to easily detangle the hair and serve as an anti-humectant.  Essentially this product helps with reducing frizz by blocking moisture. Living in a humid city such as Atlanta this product really comes in handy to smooth out my tresses... It's just an added bonus that it helps with the detangling process.  




Last, but certainly not least is Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey.  Now I must admit, I've always been a little weary of Carol's Daughter products.  I've tried many of her lines but none seemed to work with my hair... until I discovered this.  My sister would always boast about how much she loved this product.... so I decided to give it the try.  I picked this product up from my local Target for about $12.  The Mimosa Hair Honey line was actually marketed for protective styles, but that didn't stop me from giving it a try on my tresses.  This shine pomade is the finisher of almost any style I do with my hair.  Ingredients include Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Annatto Seed, Lavender, Sage, Red Clover, Rosemary, Nettle, Corn Oil and Orchanet.  And as if the ingredients didn't give it away... it smells AMAZING.  I reach for this product not only before braiding or twisting, but I also grab it when I'm getting ready to unravel my twists and braids.  This thick honey pomade tames fly aways and frizz without weighing the hair down.   It also gives your hair an awesome shine that makes it look conditioned and healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment